Representing Yourself Home

This website is designed to provide information and resources for those involved in family law matters in the state of Missouri. The information, tools and resources available through this site are not intended to take the place of legal advice and there is no guarantee that using the information and/or resources will get the results you want.

Start Here: You must complete the education program about representing yourself in court to use the approved forms. The program tells you about the Missouri court system and the type of case that interests you. You also will learn about the dangers and duties of representing yourself in court.

The education program is two steps. Step 1 is to watch the video (or read the written materials). Step 2 is to learn about your type of family law matter.

Step 1:

Click the play button below to watch the education program video. You will learn about the Missouri court system and the dangers and duties of representing yourself in court. (Written materials available here.)

Step 2:
When you have finished Step 2, print the Certificate of Completion. You will need to file a copy with the court.

Should I go it alone or get a lawyer?

The following information can help you decide if you should represent yourself in court or work with a lawyer.

You can ask a lawyer to help you with part of your case. This is called "limited scope representation." You and your lawyer decide what each of you will do to handle your case. A lawyer who agrees to help you with part of your case may charge a fixed fee or charge by the hour. Some things a lawyer may do as part of your case include talk with you about your legal rights, review paperwork, draft legal forms or appear in court with you. A free lawyer may be available in some cases.

Can court staff assist me with my case?

Court staff are happy to help you if they can. However, court staff are allowed to help you only in certain ways since they must be fair to everyone. It's best to learn what court staff can and cannot do for you BEFORE you ask for help.

Approved Court Forms

Standard, statewide forms are required for use by anyone who participates in a family law case without being represented by a lawyer. Forms that have been developed are listed below. If you do not find the form you need, no approved form has been created.

Divorce or Separation

Families & Children

Name Change

Adult Abuse/Stalking

More Information

Please take a few minutes to answer the short survey located here. Your feedback is essential to the continued growth and development of this website. Your responses will be managed confidentially and will be used to improve the quality of the tools and information provided.